How conversion works

Conversion of basic support

In order for basic support to be converted to a grant, you must be living away from home, your income and assets must fall below the limit and you must complete your studies.

Up to 40 percent of the basic support you receive can be converted to a grant if you meet the conditions.

You must be living away from home

Only those living away from home may have loans converted to grants. When you apply for loans and grants, you must specify whether or not you live with your parents. Customers who are living away from home are awarded conversion loans that can later be converted to grants.

The conversion loan amounts to 40 percent of the basic support, which is the portion of study support given to “everyone”. You can check whether you have been allocated a conversion loan in the decision letter you received after applying for loans and grants.
Who is considered to be living away from home?

You are considered to be living away from home as long as you do not live in the same house as your parents during the period in which you receive loans and grants from Lånekassen.

If you live in the same house as your parents, you could still be considered to be living away from home if you live in “independent and clearly separate accommodation in the same house as the parents, and the applicant’s accommodation is registered with a separate housing unit number or equivalent in the Norwegian National Registry or land register.” By independent accommodation, we mean accommodation that has independent housing functions such as kitchen and bathroom.

You will also be considered to be living away from home if you are married or you have children.

Your income and assets must fall below the limits

Your income and assets must fall below the limits to be eligible for full conversion of basic support to grants. The conversion loan (proportion of the basic support that can be converted to grants) will not be converted to a grant if you are above the limits.

Please note that we verify income and assets each calendar year as the tax return from which we collect the information applies to the calendar year and not the academic year (autumn term - spring term).

Read more about the applicable limits.

The size of the reduction will depend on how far above the limit you are. You will not lose the entire conversion loan if your income is only slightly above the limit, in this case it will be gradually reduced.

In order to find out how much your grant will be reduced by, you can use this formula: Income above income limit x 5 percent x Number of months of support = Reduction.

What income and assets does Lånekassen use for means testing?

When we means-test your support against your income, we will look at your personal and capital income. This consists of

  • all taxable earned income (including holiday pay)
  • all taxable social security and pension benefits
  • all capital income

We will disregard any financial support you or your children receive, as well as interest income from home savings schemes for young people (BSU).

When it comes to assets, we will use the net assets specified in your tax return for the year in which you received support.

Net assets are the value of what you own, minus your total debt (for example, the value of your home and bank deposits, minus what you owe Lånekassen and what you owe on your mortgage).

You must complete your studies

After verifying your income and assets, we will check whether you have completed your studies. In order for the entire conversion loan to be converted to grants, you must complete the proportion of studies for which you received loans and grants. For example, if you received support for full-time studies, you must have completed at least 60 study credits to be eligible for full conversion. If you complete fewer credits than what you have received support for, a correspondingly smaller loan will be converted to a grant.

We convert loans to grants at the same time as checking income and you will also receive a conversion for the same period for which we verified income. This means that the conversion will apply to the full calendar year and not each academic year (autumn-spring). For example, loans are converted to grants for all of 2021 in 2022.

Conversions are made each year when we verify income. The exception is students abroad, whose support is converted after they have submitted qualifications upon completion of studies. Students in Norway or exchange students do not need to submit anything.

Sign in for an overview of your conversion history

Degree conversion

Students in university and university college education must pass a degree as well as obtaining enough study credits to be eligible for full conversion.

The amount that can be converted to a grant after passing a degree can be found in the decision letter under “degree conversion loan”. The amount corresponds to 15 percent of basic support.

Degree conversion takes place the year after passing your degree.

Which studies result in degree conversion?

Your loan can be converted to a grant if you pass one of the following

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Two-year Master’s Degree
  • Five-year Master’s Degree
  • University College Graduation
  • Vocational Education

In addition to the ordinary degrees, there are certain types of further education that also carry a degree conversion eligibility element, even if they do not lead to a degree.

These are:

  • Practical Pedagogical Education (PPE)
  • Health Visitor (further education for nurses)
  • Midwife (further education for nurses)
  • Anaesthesia, paediatrics, intensive care, surgical and oncology nursing
  • PhD studies abroad